Help
Get all the latest news about ArrowChat here
Jason
Customer

by Jason 17 Jun 2010, 22:02

Beta Requirements
We'll be providing a v0.2 beta to customers with an average of 50+ users online. The reason for this is that we want to make sure that large sites can finally use ArrowChat with zero problems.

How do I take part in the beta?
Simply open up a customer service ticket stating that you wish to take part in the beta, provide a test login account, and say how many users your site has online on average. Please do not request beta access if you are a small site as we will not grant access.
agiles2303
Customer

by agiles2303 28 Jun 2010, 18:39

The stipulation placed on accessing the beta has diminished my confidence in ArrowChat. Sure I understand why larger sites help you with debugging and testing, but there is no good reason that everyone else doesn't also get to use the beta. Whether our site has 1 active user or a 1 million on average, we each paid the same amount of money for ArrowChat. Why is there money better than mine???
agiles2303
Customer

by agiles2303 28 Jun 2010, 18:41

Additionally, JomSocial doesn't segregate their beta access. As I recall you were featured on their website, maybe it would be fitting and just to open the beta up to everyone, if they can do it so can ArrowChat.
Jason
Customer

by Jason 28 Jun 2010, 18:57

agiles2303 wrote:The stipulation placed on accessing the beta has diminished my confidence in ArrowChat. Sure I understand why larger sites help you with debugging and testing, but there is no good reason that everyone else doesn't also get to use the beta. Whether our site has 1 active user or a 1 million on average, we each paid the same amount of money for ArrowChat. Why is there money better than mine???

The beta is only going to be tested for a few days. The only purpose of it is to test performance and efficiency.
agiles2303
Customer

by agiles2303 28 Jun 2010, 19:10

I am well aware of that, but let's face the truth, many customers are growing impatient. Beta's keep interest in the product and in the Brand.
Pauley
Customer

by Pauley 01 Jul 2010, 11:48

The point of this beta test is to test performance and efficiency... on larger boards. If your board has one user online, how are you helping this goal? You're not. Stop complaining and let the people who can help them with this test help them.
agiles2303
Customer

by agiles2303 01 Jul 2010, 12:30

Pauley wrote:The point of this beta test is to test performance and efficiency... on larger boards. If your board has one user online, how are you helping this goal? You're not. Stop complaining and let the people who can help them with this test help them.

You're missing the point! JomSocial has a user base of 36,817. They are willing to supply a beta to a product that is much more sophisticated to all of their customers, regardless of their customer's site size. Does the Azrul team not care about properly debugging their software? No.

I understand the thought process for restricting it to larger sites, but let me pose a question in response to your final statement about letting those who can help them with this test help:
Will the larger sites not provide the feedback needed if the beta is released to sites of a smaller magnitude???

Since June 20th they (Jomsocial) have released their new package, and 3 upgrades. Do you think that happens only because of their big sites? I can promise you not, because of my bug report they have posted a warning to all users upgrading. Oh and as of right now I have 2 active users. However all those sites that have hundreds of users couldn't find this issue.

THE POINT IS! This is how you keep interest in your product, your brand, and your credibility. THE NEXT POINT IS it is completely harmless to open it up to everyone. These forums at ArrowChat are slowly dying, and only pick up at time of release. Then once the new update it will pick up until all the questions have been answered. JomSocial receive multiple-multiple posts per day, not just with questions, but with customers providing tips/tricks, template customizations, and general guidelines.

You want me to continue complaining? Good. Because we have this thing called "Daily Development Notes". However in the last 52 days we've received a new "Note" (twitter update) 20 times. That's hardly daily.

Let me continue, we were supposed to have JomSocial notifications for Friend Requests, Messages, Wall Posts, and something else I believe in the initial release of ArrowChat. First, we didn't get any of those. And then when we did, we only got two of them. We got half of the integrations as we were supposed to have months ago? Oh not to mention the Message Notification code we did get only worked for the original message, if a user replied to that message there wasn't a notification.

So get off your high horse like we're in high school and you think you're cool cause you have more friends (active users than my site).

I provided an idea that would help with the activity on this site, and future customers. Because activity not excuses for not having updates sells products. This software has too much potential and is too good right now to say it's only at version 0.1.33 for all customers not to be more active on a daily basis.

The big picture you're missing is Arrowchat.com has more than 50 customers, if this website was active enough they wouldn't need to rely as much on the customers that have a site of 50 plus users. I'm using JomSocial as an example but there are many other successful sites that have done this.

All you have to do is post a disclaimer saying "This beta version is currently not supported, and is being released as a trial to find performance and efficiency issues. We are releasing it to open expand the users to help us find any issues quicker and we would appreciate the feedback you and your site members have. Also, due to some issues that weren't the fault of our customers we haven't been able to release updates as often as we originally promised, so instead of telling you what is to come in the next stable release, we figured we'd give a preview."

I could go on but my original post was not to complain but to provide an idea to help the ArrowChat team, because an active site will increase the money in their pocket not mine.

Excuse any spelling or grammatical errors because I have written a book, was rather angry when writing it, and simply don't feel like proof reading to ensure my brain wasn't moving faster than my fingers.
VaggoLena1327
Customer

by VaggoLena1327 01 Jul 2010, 14:05

Just wanted to say you made a very good and strong point and I agree with you :)
Jason
Customer

by Jason 01 Jul 2010, 15:19

Please stay on topic. The v0.2 beta will not be released to everyone, and you'll have to wait an extra 2-3 days.
agiles2303
Customer

by agiles2303 01 Jul 2010, 15:31

Jason wrote:Please stay on topic. The v0.2 beta will not be released to everyone, and you'll have to wait an extra 2-3 days.

I have been very on topic (discussing the release of the beta), so now we're getting penalized for speaking out?
Jason
Customer

by Jason 01 Jul 2010, 15:46

agiles2303 wrote:
Jason wrote:Please stay on topic. The v0.2 beta will not be released to everyone, and you'll have to wait an extra 2-3 days.

I have been very on topic (discussing the release of the beta), so now we're getting penalized for speaking out?

Have you been penalized? You are way off topic with 90% of that post. You are welcome to discuss your concerns in other threads.
deth4uall
Customer

by deth4uall 01 Jul 2010, 16:04

I will have to agree with agiles atm... You should be wanting a wide berth of inputs from small to very large, the smaller sites have more room to test and bring in the bugs, while the larger sites have the capability of providing load capacities. I have to call out segregation and prejudice in the form of site size... I believe its the "My site is bigger than your site! HAHA!" divide... I have about 5 people on in the evenings and I want to be able to help you find bugs, but how can I do that if you only give it to the larger sites? I Paid for THIS Software. I paid like every other user.

My Suggestion after this rant is this:
Allow smaller sites to test for bugs, while you observe the larger sites load size. The smaller sites will need to apply just like the larger ones, and if they get in they should observe the scripts to make sure they are bug free. I am sure I could get several of my users to help me test. Because I code the same way as you do, I have a full team of them in my game.

I am just wanting this script to be better than that other one. If you know what I mean, but I don't want to wait a year for it to come out either.
Jason
Customer

by Jason 01 Jul 2010, 16:17

deth4uall wrote:My Suggestion after this rant is this:
Allow smaller sites to test for bugs, while you observe the larger sites load size. The smaller sites will need to apply just like the larger ones, and if they get in they should observe the scripts to make sure they are bug free. I am sure I could get several of my users to help me test. Because I code the same way as you do, I have a full team of them in my game.

What is 2-3 days of performance and efficiency bug testing with small sites going to do? Perhaps clarifying this process will clear things up:

1. Beta released to large sites
2. Large sites see if any slow down has occurred (Should only take a few hours to determine this)
3. If there are any problems, an updated beta will be released
4. When there are no slow down problems, release v0.2 to everyone

We aren't releasing this beta to detect general bugs in the script. In fact, the beta probably won't even include any 0.2 features.
deth4uall
Customer

by deth4uall 02 Jul 2010, 13:29

Ok, well as long as it speeds up the coding, its been 1/3+ of a year already since I bought the software and still no 1.0 lol...
Jason
Customer

by Jason 02 Jul 2010, 14:46

deth4uall wrote:Ok, well as long as it speeds up the coding, its been 1/3+ of a year already since I bought the software and still no 1.0 lol...

v0.2 puts us very close to v1.0. :)

Really all that's left after this will be pop out chat, opening of the store, and a few ideas for applications we have. The only reason that the current version isn't v1.133 already is that we promised pre-orders a few features that weren't included, so we want to include all of that in our v1.0. You can expect things like a webcam plugin after v1.0 and other new features (all free, of course).
jerome
Customer

by jerome 02 Jul 2010, 20:04

i hope the release is very soon, your average version releases before was 15 days though. Webcam plugin is nice too, but i hope the chatroom is out soon.
Pauley
Customer

by Pauley 07 Jul 2010, 15:38

I'll be honest, I didn't even read the wall of text. But regardless, the fact still remains, they want to see how the software performs on larger sites. So, again, a small site will not help with the goal of testing on a larger site, it's really not a hard concept to grasp. *shrug*

Keep on keepin' on Jason and co.
Staff Bot
ArrowChat Team

by Staff Bot 07 Nov 2012, 12:40

This thread has been locked because the last post is greater than six months old. There is a good chance that the information in this thread is outdated. Please open a new topic if you wish to discuss this further.