Help
General ArrowChat talk that doesn't fit any other forum.
TPonsky
Customer

by TPonsky 07 Oct 2020, 06:56

We have been experiencing horrible slow downs and crashes in Arrowchat lately. Last Friday we have 270+ users in a chat room (we use the popout as an embed) and the whole thing would suddenly go blank or the buddylist would disappear, or it wouldn't even load in the first place and give us a "cannot not connect to database" error. I messaged support but they aren't responding and we are getting very nervous as we have more events with 300+ people in each one coming up.

Our server is ABSURDLY overpowered for this. 8 CPUs and 32GB ram on AWS EC2 with EBS storage that's also absurdly large.

We already use the push service which is great for messages but absolutely useless for the CONSTANT querying of the buddylist and room data. This is where things are breaking down. The database is churning as fast as it can but there's thousands of queries going on all the time.

Arrowchat has a great interface and we would hate to lose it but this chat system is costing us a small fortune to host because it's an absolute hog on resources.

Arrowchat support *claims* that it can handle thousands of users but I can't see how that could be possible unless there is some type of server optimization that can be done that has never (as far as I can see) been shared with anyone else on the forum or in the documentation.

Does ANYONE here know any tips or tricks to optimize MySQL and PHP (we are on an nginx server running PHP FPM)? Would greatly appreciate any advice.
Voicecaster
Customer

by Voicecaster 19 Oct 2020, 12:11

Hello, its proably a function of Wordpress database issues? Did you try an Database cleaner there? Did you try moving the Database to another serveR?

I can't get it to work moving from Apache to Nginx. DId you have to create any Nginx Rewrites? IF so can you share them?

We have been experiencing horrible slow downs and crashes in Arrowchat lately. Last Friday we have 270+ users in a chat room (we use the popout as an embed) and the whole thing would suddenly go blank or the buddylist would disappear, or it wouldn't even load in the first place and give us a "cannot not connect to database" error. I messaged support but they aren't responding and we are getting very nervous as we have more events with 300+ people in each one coming up.

Our server is ABSURDLY overpowered for this. 8 CPUs and 32GB ram on AWS EC2 with EBS storage that's also absurdly large.

We already use the push service which is great for messages but absolutely useless for the CONSTANT querying of the buddylist and room data. This is where things are breaking down. The database is churning as fast as it can but there's thousands of queries going on all the time.

Arrowchat has a great interface and we would hate to lose it but this chat system is costing us a small fortune to host because it's an absolute hog on resources.

Arrowchat support *claims* that it can handle thousands of users but I can't see how that could be possible unless there is some type of server optimization that can be done that has never (as far as I can see) been shared with anyone else on the forum or in the documentation.

Does ANYONE here know any tips or tricks to optimize MySQL and PHP (we are on an nginx server running PHP FPM)? Would greatly appreciate any advice.
Voicecaster
Customer

by Voicecaster 19 Oct 2020, 12:13

Hello, its proably a function of Wordpress database issues? Did you try an Database cleaner there? Did you try moving the Database to another serveR?

I can't get it to work moving from Apache to Nginx. DId you have to create any Nginx Rewrites? IF so can you share them?

convexchange
Customer

by convexchange 26 Aug 2022, 10:20

Hi,
here at conversationexchange.com we had to tweak some tables and add indexing where missing. After that we notice a good improvement. I do not think arrowchat fully tested their stuff on a busy/heavy environment.
We also noticed some IDs where defined as strings vs. int. Take a look at the schema and try to make some optimizations. If you still need some help let me know.
Jason
Customer

by Jason 26 Aug 2022, 22:52

Hi,
here at conversationexchange.com we had to tweak some tables and add indexing where missing. After that we notice a good improvement. I do not think arrowchat fully tested their stuff on a busy/heavy environment.
We also noticed some IDs where defined as strings vs. int. Take a look at the schema and try to make some optimizations. If you still need some help let me know.
It’s a little trickier than that. We optimize for the maximum number of sites possible. Due to your setup, other things may work for you. I’d be curious to know your specific changes to see if there is possibly any improvement that can be made.

A long time ago we made a change that absolutely killed everyone’s websites, but it worked fantastically for a couple people.