Help
Ask questions about how to do or fix things in Arrowchat
SinglesNet
Customer

by SinglesNet 20 Nov 2017, 13:20

So I want to be able to moderate the chat rooms but i don't see general instructions on how to set myself up as the moderator (or admin) across the board for all the chat rooms. It's set up to search on a member's name and make them the moderator.

1) How do I make myself a moderator without having to be a member in the chatroom and then setting myself up as the moderator thru the backend?

2) Do the other members in the room have visibility of the moderator's presence?
CGL
Customer

by CGL 05 Dec 2017, 05:02

SinglesNet wrote:So I want to be able to moderate the chat rooms but i don't see general instructions on how to set myself up as the moderator (or admin) across the board for all the chat rooms. It's set up to search on a member's name and make them the moderator.

1) How do I make myself a moderator without having to be a member in the chatroom and then setting myself up as the moderator thru the backend?

2) Do the other members in the room have visibility of the moderator's presence?

So, no, you can't just be a moderator and not be within the chat room. That makes no sense. Now, you can pull the chat logs whenever you'd like on the back-end and the users won't see that you can read the chat log without being present in the group, but you will need to refresh it to get new messages since you aren't actually within the chat room(s).

Now, if you are a moderator/admin on the chat then you can enter all rooms, regardless of passwords members may have set up for rooms. Maybe that's what you're asking..?

Otherwise, yeah, set yourself up as admin/mod on the back-end. It will suffice all you want to do. Honestly, you might be overthinking things if you're worried about being seen in the chat. People usually leave the admin/mods alone unless there are issues (and if you've enabled the Report feature then just direct people to Report issues through that button instead of trying to chat with you -- set up a Chat Help / Chat FAQ page on your site and put it as a Bar Link with a button displayed so members can find it easily when they're in the chat).

Arrowchat Admin Panel (probably yoursiteurl/arrowchat/admin ) > Users > Manage Mods/Admins

in the Add Moderator/Admin section type in your username on the site. Search.

Once your name is populated there and you see it click the Edit to the right of the username.

Check off BOTH Make Administrator and Make Moderator.

Be aware that every time I do the "Repair ArrowChat" option that I will need to re-assign all moderators/admin. So, if you get a long list of people who are helping moderator your chat then keep a back-up list so you don't have to base it all on memory every single time you have a site hiccup and try to repair your database (rarely needed but handy from time to time).

Once both of those are checked then Save Changes.

Done. Immediately applied.

Yes, everyone will see that you are listed as the Admin. in the chat rooms you are actively joined in when you are online. Yes, you will automatically appear as these roles in all chat rooms.
No, they will not see you listed if you are offline or are not in that specific chat room.
No, you cannot be in a chat room and be hidden by default (maybe there is some sort of personal tweaking/coding that could be done to hide that display but not automatically created in the system already so I couldn't tell you how you might achieve that).