Help
Suggest features for the ArrowChat software
Martinspire
Customer

by Martinspire 14 Sep 2012, 04:58

Since i installed Arrowchat on my forum, the users love using it and i think its the best thing i've done to increase communication. Since i'm hosting a gaming community, its not all about making forums, posting threads but also quick communication about what they are going to play, how things are going and what not. I'm currently running Arrowchat on my Mybb forum with the bar at the top and a chatroom embedded at the top of the page.

Still, i believe there are always some things that can be improved or added to make products like these even greater. Therefor i'm posting this list of features to see what you guys think and perhaps to check if there are other people who think some of my ideas are stuff they want to see too. I'll probably add more things soon (and add them too as replies to let you guys know whats new)

So here goes

New Feature requests
-Chatroom moderation: i cannot change or remove chats, so bad lines stay forever
-Chatroom log deletion: i cannot remove old chat logs, so the database gets pretty big
-Embedded chatroom styling: if i now change stuff it gets removed and its hard to find what i've changed
-Custom CSS for themes: making changes to the looks of the themes isn't currently easy to do as you lose everything on an update (or need to look inside the code to change whats new)
-Highlight user messages: make them stand out
-Media embedding: show previews of youtube links or open them in tabs to keep users on the page. Also display the title of the link inside the chat. Support for more media would also be nice. Perhaps a sidebar that shows all media in chat could be a nice addition too.
-Preview images or open them inside the chat. My community occasionally posts funny images of which we would like to be able to embed them
-Message styling: making stuff bold, link text and use italic/strike-through or spoilers would be nice
-Xbox Live, PSN, Steam or other game platform integration: to show who's online gaming and what their current status is. (i'm guessing this could be a lot of work)
-Us
-Twitter user integration: an app where you can add twitter usernames or lists to follow your members on social media and make connecting in real life a bit easier (and could also be informative)

Bugs Arrowchat related
-Size of emoticons can't be set, making large ones pretty tiny (wanted to add some rage/derp emoticons like i have on my forum but they are way to big to see what they are in the chat)
-Push Service breaks the History duration. I cannot display lines from 1440 minutes (1 day) ago, but every 3 or 4 hours old messages are removed

Bugs embedding related
-Posting links makes them open inside the iframe. Making links open in a new tab/window would be a nice change anyways
-Avatars don't work. They seem to be linking to an image that is on a sublevel of the iframe embed code, not the site url.
-New messages recieved also shoots when you post new messages in the embedded window. It should check if you are already signed in and not show stuff as "new" when you typed it yourself. Since the chat is already opened, it doesn't need to show it has new messages
-No iframe: perhaps instead of using an iframe, arrowchat could use the curl or other functions to include the page (and give it a nice loading animation to not slow down the current page loading time too much). This will fix the avatars and link issues, but also get rid of the scrollbar that is shown if the layout is broken or size is not sufficient (some old browsers use other margins and thus break the iframe layout).

Hope you guys keep up the good work you put in this nice piece of software and would consider these ideas.
Staff Bot
ArrowChat Team

by Staff Bot 16 Dec 2014, 00:26

[b]This thread has been locked because the last post is greater than six months old. There is a good chance that the information in this thread is outdated. Please open a new topic if you wish to discuss this further.[/b]